3 Amazing road trip from Delhi to Shimla. Queen of Hills, Shimla is also the capital of Himachal Pradesh. Located in the Shivalik ranges Shimla is a majestically beautiful hill station that makes a gorgeous and popular holiday destination. It is also famous among honeymooners because of its charming beauty and weather. During the Raj, it used to be the summer capital of the British and there are many buildings made in British architecture. Few of the popular attraction in Shimla include the Town hall and Gaiety Theatre which are made in British architecture.
3 Amazing road trip from Delhi to Shimla.
Gaiety theatre is one of the only two theatres of the world made in neo-gothic architectural style. Other attractions of Shimla include The Ridge, Christ Church, Jakhoo Temple, Mall road, Indian Institute of Advanced Study, Chadwick Falls, Tara Devi, Kali Bari, Scandal Point, Lakkad Bazaar, Annandale, Potters Hill etc. It is a great place to soak up in the natural beauty, there are few treks in Shimla, the food is amazing to relish upon and you can buy souvenirs. 3 Amazing road trip from Delhi to Shimla.
Best Time to plan Shimla Holiday:
Shimla is famous among tourists throughout the year however people visit here more during summer vacations and winter during snowfall. March to June is the time when tourists come here to beat the heat as the temperature is pleasant and the place looks gorgeous. It is most suitable for outdoor activities and there are many festivals happening around the main Shimla town during summer. In winter, around Christmas holidays the town looks completely soaked in the vibes of festivity and tourists come in large groups to enjoy the place.
How to reach Shimla:
Reaching Shimla is not at all an issue because the place is well connected via all means of transport. There is an airport located in Jubbal Hatti that has regular flights from Delhi and Chandigarh. You can reach here via Train and the nearest railway station is situated in the town itself. Roads are also well connected with buses and taxis.
The three major route options to reach Shimla via Delhi:
There are three major routes that you can take from Delhi to reach Shimla. You can either take the Ambala route or Dehradun route or Yamunanagar route. All three routes are good and have their own attractions on the way. So let us give you more information on these three routes from Delhi to Shimla. 3 Amazing road trip from Delhi to Shimla.
Route 1: Delhi to Shimla via- Ambala Route
Delhi → Panipat → Karnal → Kurukshetra → Ambala → Pinjore → Kasauli → Shimla
Delhi to Shimla via Ambala is the shortest route and it just takes 7 to 8 hours to reach Shimla. You have to take the NH 44, 152 and 5 on your way. There are many pit stops where you can take a break at the various restaurants and Dhabbas which are famous for their food.
If you are in a leisure mood, you can take the following stopovers while on your way:
- Purana Quila: Located in Panipat, this historic historical mosque, library and park is a nice place to have a stop.
- Karnal Lake: Once you cross Karnal, you can have your stopover at this lake which is small yet beautiful and peaceful.
- Sheikh Chilli Tomb: Located in Kurukshetra this is a beautiful mausoleum of a Sufi Saint.
- Rock Gardens of Chandigarh: Once you reach Chandigarh you must see the Rock Garden which is famous for its creative usage of trash recycles in various art forms.
- Sukhna Lake: This is a great place where you can sit and relax or go for a walk around the ramp or enjoy boating.
- Jal Mahal in Pinjore: After crossing Chandigarh you will come across the famous Jal Mahal in Pinjore. It is a famous place known for its garden and fountains.
- Monkey Point Hanuman Temple: On the way, you will have Kasauli and you must not ignore it. You must check out the Monkey point Hanuman Temple by taking a short hike and enjoy the spectacular view of the nearby hills.
- Christ Church: Another place to visit in Kasauli is the Christ Church that is one of the oldest churches British make in Himachal Pradesh.
- Tara Devi Temple: Once you step into the Queen of Hills Shimla, the first place you will be is Tar Devi and if you want you can take a hike or drive your vehicle up to the top of the Tara Devi hill. There is a beautiful temple amidst the lush green jungle. 3 Amazing road trip from Delhi to Shimla.
Route 2: Delhi to Shimla via- Yamunanagar Route
Delhi → Panipat → Karnal → Yamunanagar → Solan → Chail → Shimla
The approximate duration of this trip can be around 10 to 11 hours and you will have to take NH 44 and 5 to reach Shimla if you take this route.
On your way you can take rest and stop at the following places:
- Kalesar National Park: The Kalesar National Park is situated in Yamuna Nagar and it is a great place to take a break because of its location in the dense forest and here you can spot a lot of wild animals like leopards, deer, sambar, python, king cobra and a variety of birds.
- Chail Sanctuary: Once you reach Chail, you can visit the Chail sanctuary where you can see the European Red Deer, Himalayan Black Bears, Golden Eagles, leopards and other wild animals. This is a gorgeous place that comes before you reach Shimla. 3 Amazing road trip from Delhi to Shimla.
Route 3: Delhi to Shimla Via Dehradun Route
Delhi → Ghaziabad → Meerut → Muzaffarnagar → Dehradun → Kolar → Barog → Shimla
This one is the longest route from Delhi to Shimla and it takes around 12 to 13 hours to reach Shimla via Dehradun. You will have to take NH 334 and 7 to follow your route.
Stopovers for your trip to Shimla via Dehradun:
- Robber’s Cave: It is a great place in Dehradun to spend time having fun in the cave river walk.
- Forest Research Institute: There are museums, parks and other features of the place that make it a nice stopover. 3 Amazing road trip from Delhi to Shimla.